Thursday, August 20, 2009

Letter of HaRav baal HaShach to a Christian scholar

can be found here with a follow up from the Noda B' Yehuda's son.

The letter is really interesting and I hope to get back to it.

(Would appreciate if anyone can tell me if the letter has been discussed anywhere else?)

From EJ:


During the period he was rabbi in Holesov he became friendly with a Christian scholar. In the library of the academy in Leipzig there is a holograph of a Hebrew letter dated Feb. 3, 1660, which Shabbetai wrote "to him whom I love as myself, the philosopher magister Valentino Wiedreich." Shabbetai informs him that he has sent him the book of Elijah Baḥur and asks him to keep in touch with him (Bikkurei ha-Ittim, 10 (1829), 43–44).

2 comments:

andy said...

Gellis includes the letter in his little book on the Shach, but w/o much discussion.

Anonymous said...

Hello,nice post thanks for sharing?. I just joined and I am going to catch up by reading for a while. I hope I can join in soon.

 
Creative Commons License
Ishim V' Shittos by http://ishimshitos.blogspot.com/ is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.
Based on a work at ishimshitos.blogspot.com.